Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Mercer Slough

August 16, 2011

I decided to drive a little further from the local lakes and decided trying something new.  Someone said the Mercer Slough is a must paddle - at least once to say you did.  So I did.  I parked at Enatai Beach Park and hauled my kayak (with a newly purchased kayak dolly) down to the water.  Had to pass the beachgoers and wade through all the skinny people laying across the walkway.  "Scuze me, pardon me, scuze me, pardon me".  Finally made my way to the launch area where the local kayak rental shop was.  Then I had to fight with all the newbie rental people who were heading out to Mercer Slough as well.  I was told the Slough was an easy, quiet and relaxing paddle.  No one said I'd encounter a traffic jam on kayaks.  I finally squeezed my way through the groups of tandems and canoes and other plastic barges.

First thing I noticed was the blackberry bushes - holy jackpot!  Lots and lots of them.  I'll have to come back with a basket or something to pick them. 

The Slough is a 4 mile long narrow waterway filled with lots of vegetation, lilly pads and wetlands.  Lots and lots of turtles just sunbathing on logs.  Saw a couple of herons as well.  Heard a sploosh behind me - I'm assuming it's a otter - I'm hoping it's an otter.






It's a pretty casual paddle.  I'd do it again if I was in the neighborhood...and had my kayak with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment