Thursday, August 2, 2012

I'm a Poser

August 19, 2011

I'm a poser.  I joined a kayak group in my area and went out for my first paddle with them.  I showed up a little late and they were already on their way.  It was a sunny day, calm waters and no wind to speak of.  I was in a pair of shorts, flip flops and a rashguard to protect my delicate skin :-).  The group wasn't too far off as I could still see them so I hopped into my kayak and caught up with them.  After they gave me a warm greeting and kind welcomes, the first thing they asked was "Where's your sprayskirt?".  My what?  What is a spray skirt?  I took a closer look and saw that every single one of them were wearing drysuits.  Drysuits?  It's 75 degrees outside for heaven's sake!  And their kayaks?  Umm...I don't see a lot of plastic here.  My kayak looked like a Shrinky Dink next to these 16+ footers.  What have I gotten myself into?  These are REAL kayakers - I'm a poser AKA recreational kayaker.  They were SEA kayakers.  I was able to keep up with them (granted they were at their socializing pace) but boy did I feel inadequate.  They didn't make me feel this way - they were really a great group.  I just felt underdressed for the ball.  I need to rectify this.  Quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment