Thursday, October 11, 2012

Drowning at American Lake

For those that have been following this blog, you know that American Lake is my go-to paddle playground and I try to get out there at least 3 or 4 times a week.  Yesterday I didn't go due to an overloaded work schedule.  Yesterday a man drowned on American Lake.  He and his brother were testing a boat that had some recent repairs done.  The boat began to sink and the brothers tried to swim to shore.  They were in their 60s.  One decided he wasn't going to make it so he turned around and swam back to the boat.  The other brother was nowhere to be found.  I wonder what I would have done if I came upon this accident while on my paddle.  My husband is a dive instructor and the first thing he tells his students is not to be a victim.  Meaning, don't get caught up in a situation where you find yourself in as much danger as the person you are trying to rescue.  In panic situations, you never know what will happen out of desperation and the fight for survival.  If I did attempt a bow rescue, would my kayak be capsized?  Would I be dragged down into the water?  Or would I not have thought about it and just helped?  I wish I were out there yesterday.  I'd like to think I would have been able to help.   

They recovered his body today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment